Saturday, May 26

135 Hours Later


It has certainly been more than 135 hours since I last posted anything substantial.  In fact, it's been nearly a year since my last post.  Back in April 2011 I posted about our new tractor, a Kioti DK40SE and wanted to give some follow-up thoughts after 135 hours on the tractor.

In short, this is a great little tractor.  It has done every job we threw at it quite well.  The largest amount of run time has probably been brush hogging, of which we do a few times a year.  The 6' cutter takes quite a few passes to knock down the 7 or so acres we maintain with it.  Behind that is probably moving round bales, as shown above.  The loader on this tractor is plenty strong.  I am considering adding fluid to the rear tires in order to get more ballast weight, but it's quick enough to put a bale on the rear with the rear bale spike.  With the proper rear weight it's no problem to unload double stacked round bales off a flat bed.

The driveway has stayed in good order, or at least it does when I spend the time to grade it.  I've graded the drive 3 or 4 times and put a smooth surface on it with ease.  It is probably time to add material though before I do it again.

After a little over a year of owning this tractor I can say I think it was one of the best investments we have made on the farm.


3 comments:

bc said...

Welcome back. I would love to hear about some of the things you've learned in the last year.

Duane Keys said...

Hey thanks! Not even sure where to start!

bc said...

Hmm, some obvious geek questions. You can use these to figure out questions that are worth answering. :-)

What have you learned that has changed what you actually do?

What has been the most difficult change to go through? I.e. something you resisted at first.

If you could encourage folks to read or do one thing, what would it be?

How have your goals evolved in that time? Where are you heading to now?

What was unexpected - what surprised you, good or bad?