Saturday, June 12

Bummer


It was bound to happen.  The plastic I used on the greenhouse I bought off craigslist.  The guy said it was greenhouse plastic which is specifically designed to hold up to abuse it will take on a greenhouse, such as a UV protection, but I had my doubts.  There were no brand names on the box, no logos on the plastic.  One day this week Jennifer came home to find it had failed.  It split along one of the creases from when it was folded and the wind did the rest.  The good news is we had shut down the use of it for the summer so there were no losses of plants.  I did have to quickly weatherize things as you can see the fan boxes have tarps secured to them and various other things have been sealed individually from the elements. 

Now I need to take the old plastic off and replace it with the right stuff.  This time I'll buy something with UV protection, a warranty, and enough to do a double layer for extra insulation.  Since we don't plan on using it until late August I'm tempted to wait until then to make the purchase but it's a bit of an eyesore without the plastic on it, so it will probably happen relatively soon.

I spent a good part of this last week in Chicago attending the Internet Retailer Conference and Expo (for my day job).  As I stood in the crowded airport waiting for my luggage on the way home I kept thinking about how nice it will be to get home, to peace and quiet.  It's fun to travel occasionally, but it's good to be home.

6 comments:

John Gray jgsheffield@hotmail.com said...

crap about the polytunnel

i have been enjoying your blog

Teresa said...

Sorry to hear about the greenhouse. At least this happened when the plants were out and not depending on it. I must admit, like the goats, I am a homebody.

Duane Keys said...

Thanks for reading, John!

Teresa, I'm definitely in the homebody camp these days.

polly's path said...

oh, no. I hate it when stuff like that happens.
Glad at least it was not too cold and your plants weren't damaged.

Woody said...

We found out about using the correct plastic the hard way too Duane. I had to go the way of a "great deal" twice! Some learn quicker than others.

edenhills said...

Duane, just wanted to let you know that I have a new url. Hope you stop by some time. And I miss reading a new post from you...(hint, hint)

Teresa/Eden Hills