Monday, April 12

It's all done but the cryin' (and the payin')

 

The barn was officially completed today.  And in conjunction, there is power to the greenhouse as well.  I only have to hang the door and begin building benches and tables in the greenhouse.  This last weekend Aaron and I finished mounting all the fans and louvers and wiring all up to a thermostat, it all worked on the first try, I was so proud!

There's a bit of backfill work left to do and in the barn, aka the goat palace/Taj Mahal, I will start work on building kidding stalls and wiring up circuits for heat lamps and a couple overhead lights.  There will be some delay (as we gather the finances) before we pour a concrete pad for the feed room and milking area.  In the interior of the barn against the wall that you see under the shed area will be the stalls.  On the opposite wall will be hay storage and a future spot for a concrete pad to build a feed room and milking area.  Under the shed area itself I am planning on building a feeding system I saw once in a video on the internet, I have since not been able to find it.  It allowed the people to stay on one side while distributing the grain evenly into half a large PVC pipe rotated towards the person.  The video demonstration show that when all the grain is ready the pipe is rotated towards the goats which allows them all simultaneous access. I'll explain why this important in a future post, but rest assured, how we do it now is organized chaos at best.


6 comments:

Melodie said...

The barn looks great! I am so wishing that was on my farm!

polly's path said...

A goat Mahal for sure! It is lovely.
We recently saw the pvc pipe feeder system when we picked up our new goat-her previous owners had upwards of 50 goats and the only way to make sure they didn't get trampled was using that method. I don't think theirs was automatic, though-I think they turned the pipe manually.
Good work there on the barn!!!

Duane Keys said...

Polly, I wish I could find that video or pictures so I can copy the design and not have to work out all the kinks on my own...

Melodie, thanks! We're very proud of it.

Teresa said...

This looks absolutely wonderful! I'm amazed that your feeding is organized chaos. My feeding is more like pour, dash, run for my life. They do love their feed, don't they!

Duane Keys said...

I was maybe being generous when I said it was organized! :)

Sometimes I wonder if they're thinking "It's always best straight out of the bucket too, that stuff you just poured is stale by now."

Jennifer said...

I have barn envy! That is really nice and you will get a lot of use out of it.