Sunday, February 21

Using an Udderly EZ for milking goats



I mentioned previously that we purchased an Udderly EZ to milk our dairy goats.  We've been using it now for a couple weeks with good success.  We purchased our used and it turns out it needs to be reconditioned, but we've been able to borrow one from a friend of ours to use in the meantime.  I talked to the inventor of the Udderly EZ and he said he can fix ours for cheaper than it will cost to buy a new one.  The video above shows the pump in action on one of our Nubian goats.  It just takes a few pumps for the milk to start flowing.  Once it begins flowing you stop pumping.  It's really pretty simple.  While I have gotten the hang of hand milking I much prefer this method and it's allowed me to give Jennifer a break from the milking because I can do it consistently and without her assistance.

6 comments:

polly's path said...

Looks EZ enough!
How long do you wait before you start to "share" the milk supply with the baby/babies?
And, do you process your milk beyond just bringing it to its boiling point(that's all my grandmother did back in the olden days)?

Ozarkhomesteader said...

Will it work on cows?

Jennifer said...

The Udderly EZ has a couple of different attachment sizes. We have the one that you use for goats, but there is a much smaller one that you would use to milk a mare. Not sure about an attachment for cows, but can tell you that although easy to use, this thing is not fast. I can hand milk MUCH faster than waiting on this milker, but for Duane it works well. I think for an occasional milking it would be fine, but certainly not something you would want to plan to use all of the time.
Polly, we don't process our milk, we use it raw. Healthy input equals healthy output is my theory. I know my goats are healthy, I know we milk cleanly and I am not a bit afraid of using our milk raw.
We already share the milk with the babies as that was the whole purpose behind getting dairy goats. I've had very bad luck with milk replacer so I prefer to milk and use that for the bottle babies. As for milking a doe that has her own kids, the Fiasco Farm website has a great take on this and one that I plan to use in the future. She separates the babies and the mothers at night and milks the does in the morning. The babies get a bottle in the morning (which helps keep them tame) and then get to nurse their mothers the rest of the day (which keeps the stress down for both and the work down for the people. Not to mention keeping things more natural, which I favor).

Jennifer said...

I have heard of the EZ milker and wondered how it worked. I have heard some people love it and some don't. Thanks for the demonstration, I am enjoying reading your blog.

Ozarkhomesteader said...

Thanks for the info, Jennifer! If we do get dairy cows some day, I'm going to need milking lessons.

ben paul said...

Thanks for the video. There are a couple of handheld milkers out there. I went with the Henry Milker and couldn't be happier. The jar is attached with a hose, so you don't have to hold up the entire contraption when you're milking. It's also very durable. I did a lot of research on the forums before buying it.