Monday, February 8

Cattle-haulin


This scene will surely play itself out again, and probably soon.  I took this picture before we departed the dairy where we get our bottle calves.  It was much too cold outside to use a stock trailer so we loaded up the three calves in a stock tank placed in the back of the explorer.  Now that's putting the Utility in "SUV."

The next round of calves is due to hit the ground any time.  Each birth brings us a 50/50 chance at getting another bottle calf (she only sells the bull calves).  This time we're ready with six stalls and all the necessary equipment (buckets, bottles, nipples, etc).

5 comments:

Ozarkhomesteader said...

How funny! I'm reminded of the calf in "City Slickers" riding home in the minivan.

polly's path said...

aren't they PRECIOUS?
My husband built what we (with affection)call "the goat boat". He is a hobby woodworker in his free time and subscribes to the philosophy that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. The "goat boat" is certainly a proof of that. If we didn't have it, we would be in a mess because I drive a Prius and his truck can't even transport our dog gang without someone deciding to jump out and test things out.
But I know plenty of goat folk who haul theirs in the back of vans and small SUVs!

p.s. thanks so much for stopping by and commenting! We are still without a baby goat.

Ozarkhomesteader said...

I just had to come back to ask a question. How tall are the calves, and how much does each one weigh? If I get cows, I'll be raising Dexters or Dexter-Highland hybrids (for milk). I've read you can even transport the calves in station wagons in the winter, but I found that hard to believe.

Duane Keys said...

These were Jersey bottle calves no more than 5 days old. They weighed 75 to 80 lbs when we got them. They outgrew the explorer quickly.

I'm sure you could haul Dexter calves in a station wagon, although I must stress that hauling the calves in the explorer wasn't MY idea!

Be sure to put some plastic down or you'll have a mess to clean up... actually you'll have one anyway. :)

Ozarkhomesteader said...

Thanks! Of course getting cows is a long way off. We still spend too much time away from home to take on twice-daily milking. Your Jerseys are gorgeous. I look forward to watching them grow.