Monday, January 28

Our sweet boy


Dobie After
Originally uploaded by duanekeys
The fateful day came last week, January 23, 2008. Jennifer arrived home to find Dobie not doing well. His heart wasn't able to keep up and his lungs had filled with fluid. Over these weeks his dosage of medications had continued to climb. His original prognosis, back in October of 2007 was "maybe two weeks."

It was a constant struggle for us to balance his quality of life and our own selfish needs to keep our boy in this world with us. He had many good days playing with us and animating that personality we love so much. We worried we were being selfish, our vet told us we will know when it is time. On this Wednesday in January the balance tipped away from our own needs to Dobie's needs.

Dobie went to sleep for the last time in Jennifer's lap on the couch he loved. We couldn't have asked for a more peaceful end; our deepest heartfelt thanks to Dr. John Mozier.

Dobie rests now in a spot over-looking the pasture where he often would lie and take in the sun.

It's been dark and cold in our home since he passed. Maybe time will make it easier, but there will always an empty spot in our hearts that Dobie filled.

There will never be another one like him. He was the kindest, most loyal and loving soul I've ever known.

My only comfort is knowing someday I'll see him again.

We love you, Dobie Do.

2 comments:

pabl said...

I've been there too. My latest lives on one of the islands at my woods. It's tough, but eventually you only have all of the good memories.

Chase Davis said...

The only dog I owned got hit by a car and my brother had to shoot him. I haven't been able to own a dog since, I just don't think I could stand it, Im glad I wasn't home when it happend, it was years ago.