Jennifer and I made some real progress on the farm this weekend. On Saturday we took 9 chickens to the Bolivar sale barn. We had way too many roosters per chicken so the flock needing a little thinning. Also, a few of the hens were able to fly out of the pen and had started wreaking havoc in the gardens where things are starting to come up. Now we're down to 22 chickens and 2 roosters.
We found time on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning to clear brush. I've gotten pretty good a sharpening my chain-saw and thanks to our neighbor, Coy Dan, I've learned a few techniques on the chain-saw that make the work much easier. I was able to cut up all the large branches that were in the front, side, and back yard. Jennifer and I (mostly Jennifer) also raked the side yard of the thousands of tiny sticks and fragments of trees left over from the ice storm. We burned several neat little piles of brush and stacked next year's firewood.
The large brush piles still remain as the wind was too strong to burn the bigger piles. Jennifer would like very much to rent a chipper but I think our money and time is better spent. It would be many truck loads of practically free mulch to off-set the cost of a chipper for the weekend. There's still more sawing and stacking to do, however, as I haven't yet tackled the back pasture.
We also made progress on the home remodel. Knock on wood, but I think the room addition might actually be complete this week. We tackled the cedar shingle siding and thanks to Bob Vila's tutorial on cedar shingle siding (and my buddy Larry), it's looking pretty good. All that's left is some trim on the interior, sealing the new tile, finishing the shingles, and building the steps and benches on the deck.
Technorati tags: Geek Acres, farm, home improvement