Monday, January 15

"Plum Give Out"


Ice Storm
Originally uploaded by duanekeys.
"Plum give out" were the words of our neighbor, Coy Dan, when I asked how he was doing. I can certainly echo the sentiment. None of our loved ones were hurt during the recent ice storm but there's plenty to clean up after. Several mature trees came down all around our home. There's at least two large sections of trees are resting on the roof of our house. We're without power and will be for sometime I suspect. Several sections of fence are destroyed but we still have enough standing to keep the horses in.

We are managing to stay warm huddled around the fireplace at night. I borrowed a generator from my dad, and we plan on trying to wire in the well house to get water working. I hope everyone else is faring well!

Looking on the bright side of things, we've got plenty of firewood (though it's a bit green).

5 comments:

Ed Abbey said...

Probably the only reason I choose to live north of you, is the ice. South of you is too warm and north of here is too cold. Here it is colder but we don't get the ice nearly as often or as bad. We have ice up here now but nothing like what you are going through.

Stay warm!

pablo said...

My mother lost much of a very large and very old pin oak in her suburban St. Louis yard because of this same storm. The thing fell but missed the house and the car.

Duane Keys said...

I almost parked my truck (with the generator in the back) where that large oak landed.

Jessica Hickok said...

I'm ready to "plum give out" too. Thanks for your blog.

Duane Keys said...

We're going on day 10 now, with lights on the horizon to the west, south, and east of us...