Thursday, November 16

Never Again


Jennifer just knew we could make some good extra money picking up a few black walnuts. "Good extra money" is of course a relative term. The above image is a shot of the load of walnuts we picked up around our place and the Blakemore's farm. We didn't spend really all that much time picking them up, maybe 2 hours total. By the time I had time to take it to a weighing station they were down to $10 per 100 lbs. The borrowed trailer sat for three weeks with the same amount of walnuts in it.

For the trouble, we sold our black walnut for a whopping $35! Keeping in mind that we purchased a $45 walnut picker to start off the season I guess we'll have to do it again next year to get out of the hole!

Technorati tags: , ,

4 comments:

pablo said...

Sorry about the unexpected economics of the matter. I'm not sure I've ever seen a walnut on the ground in my woods, but I have few trees. I think the squirrels get them and save me the dilemma of considering harvesting them.

tbirdonawire said...

We've done walnuts in the past. We typically take them to our local auction that hubby works at on the side. It's usually the luck of the draw with what we get for them.

We also have taken rhubarb. Rhubarb seems to be a good seller there.

Hal at Ranch Ramblins said...

Your experience with the walnuts seems to be a good metaphor for the economics of most farming today - lots of labor, large capital investments, and little return on that investment.

pablo said...

Libby and I have harvested the fallen walnuts on our neighbor's side yard, telling her we were taking them to our woods. But the real reason was to get them out of site before her two boys realized you could throw the things around.