Sunday, September 17

Rural Sporting Events

No I'm not referring to NASCAR. I knew our shiny new mailbox that I previosly posted about would be a tempting target and it didn't take long for the local holligans to pick it out. Mailbox bashing is a popular passtime of rednecks and angst-filled teenagers. I've got half a mind to rig up some sort of wireless web camera system and lure them back but the quarter-mile to the end of the driveway presents some logistical challenges.

Jennifer of course has all kinds of ideas for vengence. Most of her ideas on the subject seem to come from the same ACME catalog that the Coyote is shopping from (think Anvils and long ropes).

But the realist in me is just going to keep the semi-bashed mailbox in place and hope that's all they've got.

Technorati tags: , ,

6 comments:

pablo said...

Too bad about this.

Ed Abbey said...

Our mailbox in NW Arkansas has been replaced a time or two and bashed in every time. Now we just leave it bashed in and the locals leave it alone. I've thought about making one out of thick cast iron and painting it to look like thin aluminum just to see what it would do to their baseball bat and swinging arm. But I figured that would just be a challenge to use something more explosive.

Duane Keys said...

ed, I had the same thoughts cross my mind!

Hal at Ranch Ramblins said...

Our mailbox is at the center of a cluster of boxes, so our neighbors all have smashed mailboxes, while ours remains pristine.

I've never understood the psychology of gratification that some get from destructive activities.

Ed Abbey said...

There's your answer Duane. You need to install buffer boxes on either side!

n.l. said...

Why not plant some kind of Roman candle Firework inside the mailbox each night. They'll smack the mailbox and see sparks fly, thinking they've disrupted some kind of power grid... or maybe they would think that was too fun...