Sunday, May 28

out with the old


out with the old
Originally uploaded by duanekeys.
The old mailbox on the farm had seen better days. I finally got around to replacing it today. I unscrewed it from the mount today to find a huge nest of ants taking shelter under the mail box. A can of Raid made quick work of them. I installed our shiny new mailbox and snapped the shot below. I took some photo-shopping liberties to give a little bit of a romantic feel. I kind of like how I have the long country road off in the background.


home
Originally uploaded by duanekeys.
I'm not really pleased with the existing mounting system, but it will work for the mean time. It currently consists of an old milk can filled with rocks and some metal supports welded to the can. The entire apparatus is wire-tied to a steel t-post driven into the ground. One of these days I'll get around to replacing the whole thing.

4 comments:

Ole said...

not before some of the boys in the 'neighborhood' provide some personal attention to it I'm betting...

Duane Keys said...

Oh, I'm fully expecting to combat the welcoming party at some point. This was the least expensive mailbox option. When I replace the entire mounting setup I'll probably build a cage for the box or buy one of those reinforced boxes.

pablo said...

We have set a mailbox on a stump by the fire ring in our woods at Roundrock. We're not going to get any mail deliveries deep in the forest, but we figure that if anyone hiking our woods wants to leave us a note, they can do so via this box. We have a notepad and pencil waiting inside it for them. So far, no notes.

Duane Keys said...

Of course there are no notes, Pablo! Missouri critters don't have opposable thumbs! ;)