Sunday, April 16

Only two more weekends

Jennifer and I left Springfield relatively early on Saturday for a day at the farm. Only this weekend and next remain before we move into the house and there are still some little things to be done. Jennifer planned on spending her time painting and I was to tackle cleaning out the kitchen cabinets and replacing light switches and outlets with a more color coordinated set.

Before departing civilization we made an obligatory stop at Lowe's to pick up supplies. Prior to entering the store we had to wait in the Explorer for a few minutes to let some heavy rain pass. Once in the store we could hear the downpour continue. This area is in dire need of moisture so we were glad to have it, though we could only hope there would be some at the farm.

The drive out was beautiful. Jennifer drove and I had the pleasure of taking in the scenery. The clouds had parted to the east and rays of light were streaking through the morning storm clouds. I told Jennifer she might have to pull over so I could get a picture but there's not a great place to do so. I hoped that the formation would be intact when we arrived at the farm.

Once at the farm I was glad to see the clouds were going to cooperate for the photo but my happiness was replaced with annoyance when I realized I left the camera in Springfield. Oh well. When either one of us is impatient on the farm one of us will tell the other "you've got 50 years to [fill in the blank]." There'll be more time for pictures.

We set off into the area behind the house. The house sits in a about a two acre area of mature trees. Perfect for shade gardening that Jennifer has become fond of. She spent last weekend transplanting some of the hundreds of Iris that have been spreading along where the former back yard ended (and where we plan to end the fenced in area for the dogs).

I was looking for what I now recognize as a Mayapple. I was reading another fantastic Missouri blog, Roundrock Journal, and saw Pablo's post about Mayapples. One of his commenters noted:
may apples and morel mushrooms (when spotted) are frequently in the same area.
The last time we were at the farm I notice the Mayapples but didn't know their value in pointing to the elusive but tasty Morel mushroom. We poked around several stands of Mayapples but came up empty-handed. It appeared to us that farm only received a light rain--just enough to settle the dust. We both concluded that there probably wasn't enough moisture yet for Morels.

We went on about our task inside the house. I would occasionally stop and lie down in the master bedroom with the windows open and just listen to the wind blow through the trees. No sirens, no traffic, no anything, just the wind through the trees and an occasional bird. Jennifer (of course) told me I've got 50 years to listen to the wind and that we had a long list of tasks. So back at it we went. It wasn't long before I had wondered out on the deck and I could see our neighbor to the west working on his farm.

Coy Dan had noticed me standing there and drove his dodge work truck up to the fence line. His granddaughter was with him and Brianne had something to tell Jennifer, that she had a new colt and that she wanted us to come see it. That was all it took and I found myself chasing Jennifer through the gate and down to Coy Dan's horses.

We spent quite a bit of time chatting and talking with the neighbors, about horses, and animals, and relations, and computers and the internet (I'll be helping them with those endeavors I'm sure).

We're going to enjoy being neighbors with such nice people and "vistin'" whenever we like. The little colt (which I understand now in general farm parlance can apply to a newborn female or male foal, in this case it was a female or a filly) was a cutie. Several times Coy Dan told Brianne to get in there, pet the colt and bond with it. Jennifer informed me later that this is very good for a young horse to become familiar and comfortable with people.

It wasn't before long we found ourselves riding in Coy Dan's old pick-up heading to where he keeps the rest of his horses. He wanted to show Jennifer a filly he is going to sell. As soon as Jennifer laid eyes on "Socks" it was love at first sight. I'll leave it to Jennifer to give a proper description, but she was pretty, and quite friendly. Again I regretted not having the camera. It appears we'll be horse owners in the near future, and that's not a surprise to me (or anyone really). I think Jennifer, Coy Dan, and the horses are going to get along just fine.

Technorati tags: , , horses

4 comments:

Hal at Ranch Ramblins said...

I'll bet you're both "chomping at the bit" and anxious to move in. It sounds as if we'll soon be hearing about your plans to build horse fencing, add (or redo) a barn, etc.

Thanks for steering me to the tip regarding the proximity of morels to mayapples. We know where there are several mayapple clusters growing near our creeks, so as soon as I finish this comment, Retta and I are off to search for some morels.

When Retta and I first moved to our place, we found ourselves in a 24/7 work mentality, as there was so much to be done. We eventually realized that no matter how hard we worked, there was still an infinitely long to-do list (oh, the encroaching wilderness). It dawned on us that we were missing the experiences we moved to the country for, so we made a conscious decision to set aside sufficient time for enjoyment alone, without any guilt trips. So enjoy the breeze and the sounds of the wind once in a while (sorry Jennifer).

pablo said...

Too bad you didn't have your camera. I'm eager to see your new farm. It's a good thing to know your neighbors. I didn't meet my neighbor to the west until he accidently set part of my woods on fire.

Oh, and don't listen to what that Pablo guy says on his blog. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Duane Keys said...

"Chomping at the bit" would be an accurate description! :)

And thank you, Hal, for the advice on making time for enjoyment. My back will appreciate it! :)

meghann said...

when I had baby horses we called them phillies or colts too, but when they were first born they were referred to as single or double barrels :)